Last week at the NAHC Financial Managers Conference, Ankota's CEO Will Hicklen spoke about productivity in home care businesses. The key point that resonated the most with home care leaders was the idea to ELIMINATE work that wastes time. We often ask ourselves how we can improve our work processes and procedures, which is great, but we should always remember to ask whether we can eliminate steps.
Note that from a quality perspective, the following are true:
- Processes with less steps cost less
- Processes with less steps are faster and please customers more
- Processes with less steps result in less errors
Let's look at a case study in the arena of home health therapy. Ankota's home health thereapy software product TherapEZ was inspired by a home health therapy company, delivering physical and occupational therapy, who wanted to ELIMINATE work that wastes time. Here is a short sampling of the results:
- They eliminated time sheets, incorporating arrival and deprture times into visits and eval notes
- They eliminated paper for the Therapists and Therapy Assistants by doing notes on tablet PCs
- They eliminated the need for paperwork to be delivered by therapists to the office and by the offices to the contracting agencies
- They eliminated manual calculation of billing and payroll
- They eliminated the need for the office staff to search through the visits in order to identify follow-up work. Instead, new referrals, completed evals, missed visits and discharges (or care plan extensions) go into a "workflow inbox" on their screen
They also reduced or improved tasks, such as providing visit notes to their customers (home health agencies) the day of the visit rather than weekly, but the key to success was the ELIMINATION of work.
Ankota provides software to improve the delivery of care outside the hospital. Today Ankota services home health, private duty care, DME Delivery, RT, Physical Therapy and Home Infusion organizations, and is interested in helping to efficiently manage other forms of care. To learn more, please visit www.ankota.com or contact Ankota